Green Pledge for THE ENVIRONMENT
Everyone could play a part in protecting and restoring our environment - and today is a good time to start.
The Slade Dental Practice & Implant Centre has suggested a few simple things that are worked into the staff daily routine both at home and at work.
- Try to use less electricity at home and at work, to help combat global warming.
- Take public transport or walk short distances instead of using a car, or use pedal power;
- Look for products that have less packaging.
- : Don't buy bottled water - transporting water from its source to the supermarket shelves is an expensive waste of energy. At The Slade Dental Practice & Implant Centre, we use a purifier to distill our own water that we use for our steam autoclaves.
- Recycle your paper, glass, plastics and other waste.
- Send e-greetings instead of paper cards.
- Use rechargeable batteries.
- Buy mugs for Christmas gifts for fellow co-workers, family and friends who drink a hot beverage!
- Cutting waste. If you purchase one cup of coffee every day in a disposable container, you create about 10kg / 23 lb of waste each year. Staff at The Slade Implant Centre use reusable china cups.
- We choose biodegradable cleaning products so that the chemicals have fewer negative impacts on the soil and water system.
- We use a clinical disposal company to ensure our clinical waste is disposed of responsibly.
- Staff members recycle their old Mobile Phones
- Turn off equipment like televisions and stereos when you're not using them. That little red standby light means they're still using power - and that means a contribution to global warming.
- Send your monitor to sleep. Screensavers are designed to save your screen from burn in, not to save energy. Monitors are responsible for more than one third of a computer's energy consumption, so conserve energy by putting yours to sleep or powering off altogether when you're away from your desk for more than 10 minutes.
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth.
- Make the most of hot water; Insulate your water pipes. You'll get hot water faster plus avoid wasting water while it heats up.
- Take time out to sit in the backyard with friends, and appreciate the beauty of nature!